Taking too long? Close loading screen.
Connect with us

SPORTS

The Pain Is Too Much – Andy Murray Confirms Retirement Plans In Tears

Published

on

Andy Murray
Andy Murray: xclusive9ja.com

Tennis Legend Andy Murray has announced he is set to retire this year.

The former world No 1 hopes to have one final farewell at Wimbledon, where he is a two-time champion but had to withdraw last year.

The three-time Grand Slam winner had surgery on his hip a year ago but admitted he is still far away from full fitness with the pain greatly affecting his day-to-day life.

Speaking at a press conference, the 31-year-old broke down in tears and struggled to speak as his voice cracked as he addressed a room of journalists at Melbourne Park.

“I’m not feeling good. I’ve been struggling for a long time. Been in a lot of pain for 20 months now. 

“Pretty much done everything I could to make my hip feel better. 

“Wimbledon is where I would like to stopplaying but I’m not certain I’ll be able to do that. I’m not certain I can play throughthe pain for an other four five months.”

Murray played just 14 matches in 2018 having made a long-awaited return in June after almost a year out.

Asked if he will play the Australian Open which begins on Monday, Murray added: “I’m going to play. I can still play to a level. Not a level that I’m happy playing at.

“But it’s not just that. The pain is too much really and I don’t want to continue playing that way.”

He added: “During my training block I spoke to my team and told them I can’t keep doing this. I needed to have an end point because I was sort of playing with no idea when the pain was going to stop.

“I’ve spoken to psychologists about it butnothing helps because you’re in lots and lots of pain and you can’t do what you want to do, what you love doing. It’s not enjoyable doing it anymore.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SPORTS

Manchester City Star Proposed to Her Girlfriend

Published

on

Oleksandr Zinchenko proposing to her girlfriend

Manchester City star, Oleksandr Zinchenko has proposed to his stunning TV presenter girlfriend, Vlada Seda.
The 22-year-old midfielder got down on one knee at Ukraine’s national stadium in Kiev and proposed to his girlfriend, a broadcaster for Football 1/2 in her home country.
‘The most important YES in my life,’ elated Zinchenko wrote alongside a picture of his wife-to-be planting a kiss on him while they were wearing their country’s shirt and surrounded by a huge pile of roses.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Liverpool’s Alexander-Arnold Claims Guinness World Record

Published

on

Alexander Arnold with the award

Trent Alexander-Arnold’s name is officially in the record books with the Liverpool right-back snaring a place in the 2020 Guinness World Records collection.

The 21-year-old contributed an incredible 12 assists for the Reds last season in the Premier League to set a record for the most provided by a defender in a single season.

To make the achievement even sweeter, Alexander-Arnold has replaced Everton duo Andy Hinchcliffe and Leighton Baines as the new record holder in the process.

While 2018-19 was a very impressive campaign individually for the Englishman, he was quick to pay tribute to his teammates, with Liverpool falling just one point short of the league title.

“It’s an honour. I’ve always wanted to go forward and help the team to create as many chances as possible,” Alexander-Arnold said via The Mirror .

“It’s obviously down to the lads to put the ball into the back of the net, because football is a team game and without them this record wouldn’t be possible.

“It’s an unbelievably proud moment for me and my family, and something I hope will stand for a few years.”

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Alisson Ready for Injury Return Against Man Utd

Published

on

Allison in training today

Liverpool will have Alisson available for the visit to Manchester United on Sunday after their first-choice goalkeeper stepped up his recovery from injury during the international break.

The Premier League leaders have been without their influential keeper since the opening game of the season but, nine weeks after damaging a calf muscle against Norwich, the 27-year-old is expected to reclaim his place at Old Trafford.

Alisson has undergone an intensive and individually tailored training programme over the past week without repercussions. The Brazil international, named Uefa’s goalkeeper of 2018-19 during his injury lay-off, is fit to replace Adrián, who has proven an impressive deputy for Jürgen Klopp’s side and boasts a 100% record in the Premier League as a Liverpool player.

Mohamed Salah, who sustained an ankle injury against Leicester before the international break, is also expected to be fit for Sunday.

Continue Reading

Trending